Few months ago I saw this cute pompom sandals on social media and when I checked it out, the prices were too expensive so I thought, why not make it myself, it would probably just cost me less than p500 pesos (about $10) to make my own (excluding the sandals of course).
For today’s post, I gonna share with you guys how I made my very own pompom sandals with this DIY Tutorial. So are you ready?
First things first, you will need a pair of sandals, preferably a pair of gladiator sandals like this old pair of Mango Sandals that I have which was a gift from a dear friend of mine, Claire. The straps of this sandals are lambo twine so it is perfect to sew on the beads and pompoms unlike leather straps. So if you have an old pair of sandals you wanna pimp, then by all means go get it and let’s start with this project.
Tools you will be needing are:
- A pair of scissors
Materials you will be needing:
- Assorted Beads of your choices (wood or plastic)
- Yarn (for the tassle, I use two colors here)
- Needle and thread (choose a thread that is similar color to your straps)
I actually have a lot of beads in the house since I’m fond of knick knacks ever since I was kid and I also make custom bracelets for my SDT Charms, so I didn’t had a hard time finding additional materials at home.
Here’s a tip: You can find most of the materials at your local craft stores, or better yet, go the the accessories section of your local mall/department store and you can find these pompoms and wooden beads like I did. The pompoms are actually from kids hair accessories that I cut out. So be creative.
- Optional: These metal coins/beads are actually a necklace/embellishments from a top I took out a couple of years ago. (Good thing I didn’t threw them away)
So let’s do this! It’s just easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Wear the sandals on so it is easier for you to place the beads and pompoms, or you can have someone wear it for you like a model or if you have a mannequin then that too (I actually wore the sandals the whole time I was making this that I got a back pain right after, hahaha)
- By using a needle and thread, sew the beads and pompoms one by one on the straps. Mixing and matching the colors according to your liking. It’s up to you if you want to put less or more. (Oh did I told you that this project requires a lot of patience?)
- Be carefully not to prick yourself with the needle, you can wear a socks if you like. (I poke my skin one too many times during this project)
Once done with the right pair, the challenging part is next, you have to make the design similar on the left pair, or not! So wearing both sandals made it easier for me. But it’s still up to you really on whether you wanna make the design similar on both sandals or not, anything goes. I just choose to make it similar so it will look more polished.
Once you are done with the embellishments, then you can opt to add a tassle on the tips of the straps, I choose two different colors to make my sandals more colorful. 🤗💗
Voila! My very own pompom sandals, check out my #OOTD here.
I was working on this project for 3 days on and off, all in all, it took me about 3 to 4 hours to finished.
So that’s it for today guys, hope you learn a thing or two on this tutorial and please share your project with me. Shoot me a comment below if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.
Next DIY tutorial will be the diaper cake I made for my sister’s baby shower, so hit the follow button if you don’t wanna miss that.
Happy Thursday and enjoy making your own pompom sandals!
10 thoughts on “DIY: Pompom Sandals”
This is such a fun tutorial! I love how you can make them either super Pom-Pom or just a lil bit!
Great pics and lovely post 🙂
Followed you for sure, check out my blog if you’d like xoxo
Thanks Karrah! I’m glad you love it! Will definitely check out your blog! 😘❤️
Omg, LOVE! I’ve seen these on social media before too, and I LOVE your DIY version. Awesome job!
Thank you so much Kelsie! Appreciate the love! 😘❤️
Yay thank you for posting this! Really love it❤️
Thanks dani! Have fun making your own! ❤️
Great ideas! Love it!
omg! you’re so creative! 🙂
This will be perfect this summer! You should try it. 🤗💕